A few weeks ago, I shared an article 5 Social Media Tips You’ll Actually Understand. It was one of the most popular posts of 2016 and in it I promised to share additional tactics to grow your list in the future. I am by no means an expert, rather I'm just another business owner who had to learn this on his own. So here you go, these are some simple and free ways to expand your email list.
- Create an offline sign up form and place it at the point of sale or other high traffic area. Promote online discounts, coupons, or other valuable content.
- Collect email addresses from tradeshows, meet ups, and networking events you attend. Always send a welcome email that confirms an opt in to your list.
- Host your own offline event like a workshop, tasting, special sale, or other meet up and collect email as part of registration.
- Add a link to your email signature line that leads people to an email list sign up page. Platforms like MailChimp and Constant Contact have simple integrations.
- Encourage your current subscribers to forward your email to friends. What better way to increase your list than to have your current customers advocate for you. Again, platforms like MailChimp and Constant Contact have this functionality, all you need to do is use it.
- Produce content worthy of forwarding. You need to invest time and energy in the creation of content. People only forward valuable content. Great content is meaningful and authentic. It should reflect you and your brand.
- Add email subscribe options to all of your social media accounts. This is super easy to do and definitely worth it as you grow your online following.
- Market a lead generation offer on social media and require email sign up to deliver the offer. This can be an ebook, instructional video, discount code, etc.
- Add a subscription button to you website. Not everyone who visits your website is a buyer, providing a “subscribe now” option lets shoppers connect with you too. Often, this can be a leading indicator of future sales.
- Add an opt in URL or QR Code to print advertising or Direct Mail marketing and allow recipients to sign up for your emails. Traditionally, these channels were measured only in the their ability to convert directly into sales. By adding email sign up you give the reader another option and increase the size of your sales funnel.
All of this assumes you currently engage in email marketing, nurture campaigns, and/or newsletters. If you don’t currently leverage the power of email communication - no worries. Next week we will discuss how to start using email and some tricks on how to make it pay off for you.